Hall and Grounds Use
The Salt Spring Island Farmers’ Institute location at 351 Rainbow Road can be used for weddings, workshops or festivals. The use can include the main building, that is fully heated and very spacious, as well as a meeting room and a newly remodelled, full-service kitchen.
Many community events use the SSI Farmers’ Institute grounds for their location and camping on the grounds is permitted during an event. The grounds have been used for car enthusiast gatherings, ethnic games weekends as well as annual gatherings of various clubs and associations. There are on-site bathroom facilities for convenience.
You can use part of all of the facility by the hour, day or weekend.
Call 250-537-4755 to book or for more information.
NOTICE TO ALL RENTERS OF FACILITIES
This year the Directors did a financial review of our facility. This included updating insurance for the directors and liability coverage.
- As a renter, you are considered a “Renter or User of the facility”.
- Therefore effective January 1, 2019, the User must provide proof of liability insurance coverage for the duration of your event. (called the function) stating the dates and naming the Salt Spring Island Farmers’ Institute as the first priority beneficiary.
- If you have liability coverage, your insurer will provide you with an additional document with this statement included.
- If you do not have liability insurance then you can obtain it from your insurance broker of choice. Our local insurance company Seafirst Insurance is familiar with this ruling and can quote you the cost. The cost depends upon your activity and is reasonable.
- This document showing liability coverage and naming the Salt Spring Island Farmers’ Institute as the first priority beneficiary must accompany your deposit.
Rental rates effective January 1, 2019
Due to the increased operational costs of operating the facility, the new rates for rentals will be effective January 1, 2019. The rates are listed below.
Regular rental rates (GST applies to all fees);
Rental fees for using items off-premises:
200 chairs: $2.00 each
174 tables: $5.00 each
Fees for the Complex:
Upper Hall: $125 per day / $30.00 per hour
Main Hall (no kitchen facilities): $400 per day
Grounds and washrooms: $300 per day
Entire Complex: $700 per day or weekend booking
User fee for camping: $20 per site. This amount will be the responsibility of the event organizers.
All kitchen supplies are to be returned washed, clean and returned to appropriate areas. These are available: 150 dinner plates 150 side plates 150 place setting of flatware. Missing items will be charged to the user at a rate of $5.00 per plate and $2.50 per piece of cutlery.
Damage deposit is variable up to $500. This amount will be paid at time of reservation and is returnable 7 days after the event if facility is left in acceptable condition. Yearly lease users will pay the 2011 current rate.
Additional fees: If having music at your event, these additional charges apply.
Capacity under 100…without dancing $23.03……with dancing $46.07
101- 300…without dancing…$33.11……with dancing $66.27
301-500…without dancing…$69.09……with dancing $138.19
All prices may change without notice.
Guidelines effective January 1, 2019
- Agricultural Alliance,
- Farmland Trust,
- FTS Steering Committee ,
- Poultry Club,
- Seedy Saturday
Meetings, no charge
Events, pay 50 % of regular rates
Guides – 50 % of regular rates
Community — no charge
- Island Comfort Quilts
- Christmas Hampers
Others- regular charges
Weekend rate is Fri to noon Sun.
If additional days then at 50 % rate each day.
Grad setup can book extra days if no rentals in the time frame.
Life membership use of the hall for bereavement reception, no charge
All groups pay $20 per day per unit for camping- collected by the renter and paid to Manager.
On the Institute’s grounds at 351 Rainbow Road is the Bittancourt Museum. It is a heritage building housing artifacts, farming implements and antique equipment on display. You can rent the museum for educational classes or meetings. The museum is regularly open during the fall fair and by arrangement by phoning John Fulker at 250-537-4895.