Hall and Grounds Use
The Salt Spring Island Farmers’ Institute location at 351 Rainbow Road can be used for weddings, workshops or festivals. The use can include the main building, that is fully heated and very spacious, as well as a meeting room and a full-service kitchen.
Many community events use the SSI Farmers’ Institute grounds for their location and camping on the grounds is permitted during an event. The grounds have been used for car enthusiast gatherings, ethnic games weekends as well as annual gatherings of various clubs and associations. There are on-site bathroom facilities for convenience.
You can use part of all of the facility by the hour, day or weekend.
Call 250-537-4755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book or for more information.
NOTICE TO ALL RENTERS OF FACILITIES
- As a renter, you are considered a “Renter or User of the facility”.
- Therefore effective January 1, 2023, the User must provide proof of liability insurance coverage for the duration of your event (called the function) stating the dates and naming the Salt Spring Island Farmers’ Institute as an additional insured.
- If you have liability coverage, your insurer will provide you with an additional document with this statement included.
- If you do not have liability insurance then you can obtain it from your insurance broker of choice. Our local insurance company Seafirst Insurance is familiar with this ruling and can quote you the cost. The cost depends upon your activity and is reasonable.
- This document showing liability coverage and naming the Salt Spring Island Farmers’ Institute as an additional insured must accompany your deposit.
Rental rates effective Jan 8, 2023
Regular rental rates (GST applies to all fees).
Regular rental rates.
Upper hall with kitchen, washrooms $30 /hr or $ 200 for a 9 hour day
Lower hall with washrooms $30 /hr or $200 for a 9 hour day
Exhibition Hall, both floors complete with kitchen $300 per day
Grounds and washrooms only $300 per day
Camping: $20 per day per unit for camping which is to be collected by renter and paid to the caretaker at the event.
***If rental is for more than 4 days, a reduced rate could be negotiated for the extra days depending upon the function use.
*** If music is to be played at the event then an Entandem Music Licence Fee is applicable. The fee structure depends upon the number of guests and if dancing will occur. Please ask for a quote.
Guidelines effective January 1, 2023
Agricultural Associations – Agricultural Alliance, Farmland Trust, Poultry Club, Abattoir,
Seedy Saturday, Garden Club
Meetings – no charge
Events – pay 50% of regular rates
Guides – 50% of regular rates
Community – Island Comfort Quilts, Christmas Hampers – no charge
Others – regular charges apply
Grad setup can book extra days if no rentals in time frame.
Life membership – use of hall for bereavement reception – no charge
All groups pay $20 per day per unit for camping to be collected by renter and paid to the Caretaker at the event.
To confirm your booking for an Event:
1- One week after booking,
– a deposit payment of 50% of the rental fee plus GST is due.
– a signed rental agreement must be received at the SSIFI office.
– one month prior to your event, a copy of your insurance coverage must be received by the SSIFI office.
2- The balance of rental fee and GST is due at the beginning of the rental period.
To confirm your booking for an hourly or weekly event ( i.e. class or meeting)
- One week after booking
– deposit of 50% of rental plus GST is due
– signed rental agreement is received at the SSIFI office.
– one month prior to event a copy of insurance coverage is received at the SSIFI office.
2- Balance is due plus GST at the beginning of the rental period.
Payment may be cash, cheque or e-transfer to email@example.com
Deposit is non-refundable if cancellation occurs within 14 days of event.
On the Institute’s grounds at 351 Rainbow Road is the Bittancourt Museum. It is a heritage building housing artifacts, farming implements and antique equipment on display. You can rent the museum for educational classes or meetings. The museum is regularly open during the fall fair and by arrangement by phoning Conrad Pilon 250-537-8931.